Thursday, July 20, 2006

Too Few Non-Bumis Applying To Join Civil Service, Says Bernard Dompok.

Non-Bumis are encouraged to apply for positions in the civil service through the Public Services Commission (SPA) said Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Tan Sri Bernard Dompok.

He said the current situation where the Malays dominate the civil service was not due to quota system but because they are the ones who apply in big numbers to join the civil service. "For example in 2003 the number of Malay applicants totalled 273,646 and in 2004 it was 316,563.

"In comparison only 9,562 Indians and 8,067 Chinese applied in 2004, therefore its only natural more Bumiputeras made it into the civil service," he said. He added that there was a slight increase in the intake of Non-Bumis through SPA though the numbers are still small. Despite the small number, the number of Chinese and Indians recruited were increasing every year. For example, in 2004, 649 Chinese were recruited and the number increased to 922 last year.


**** "So how can you now blame the government for maintaining a lopsided civil service if you guys don't apply?" is what Tan Sri Bernard Dompok seems to be asking. And it is a reasonable query. What reply are the non-Bumis going to give? That his figures aren't accurate? Or perhaps some of you would like to enlighten him that after years of receiving dukacita notices, you are fed up and have given up hope of ever joining the service. Yet another plausible excuse could be that you have had reasonable grounds for believing that even if you had applied you would not be selected and therefore you did the next best thing and confined all your applications to the private sector.

Any other reasons/excuses etc. you would like to add, you are welcome to do so here.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Malaysian. said...

I have to agree with you billy. I've personally heard of many such cases and it is frustrating that nothing could be done for them.

7:41 PM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only 649 out of 8067 applicants are recruited, which translate to a success rate of about 8%!!
And out of those 649, about 400-500 of them would be doctors, pharmacists or dentists which are required to perform compulsory service in government instituitions, which means only about 100 out of 7000 non medical field applicants are recruited by governments.
Now you tell me whether the quota barrier is non-existant!!

1:29 AM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a non malay govt servant of more than 26 years service having joined as a senior officer(division A). Before getting this job my efforts to get a job whether in the private sector or other quasi govt agencies were futile. Jobs were hard then although ther number of graduates too were few.
Having secured the job I put in my heart and soul to change the general perception that govt servants are lazy and corruption is practised and also because I wanted to prove to others that you missed a great worker.All through this years I worked hard and honestly and enjoyed the job as well.In fact through the last 23 years I have only taken 5 days medical leave because either I have been blessed with good health or felt that the illness was not really debiliting(Of course insinuations of colleagues is that I dont want to miss a payoff day). I had a sick wife to take care through all this 20 years now as well as bringing up a family, living frugally because I seldom claimed expenses(much to my regret now that I have to meet University education for my children without any offer of scholarship despite excellent results-not record 11 or 12 As).
But what am I getting at?. I got a promotion which actaully nearly everybody who had worked above 20 years received but got a posting far away. Not one to complain I took the challenge but transport to this new place became formidable and my wife suffered lapses of her illness and I came late to work a few times that year(two years ago) and lo I was issued a show cause letter and despite replying that there were extenuating circumstances and that even under this circumstances I had worked at twice the normally acceptable workload, my reply was shoved into the waste paper basket and was transferred to another place. I acccepted my misfortune and worked zealously at this new place to show that I was indeed a model worker(my new boss was confounded)but I had a higher calling.
What I am showing is that racism is alive and well in the govt service that non malays have to be grateful that the govt offered them the job and that they have to work twice as hard in the job and that you better not slack a few days or else disciplinary action would be taken against you. Why racism ? Because during all this years I am a witness to part time malay govt servants who attend to family matters on govt time and govt expense(official car or office photostat machine or stationery), not including sponsored trips, food etc. and no action is taken against them because it would amount to throwing sand into their rice bowl, funny it didnt strike them when they took action against me.
My advice to my children is not take up a govt job except in the professional or judiciary service.

10:45 AM GMT+8  
Blogger The Malaysian. said...

rumbakasta, I truly sympathise with you and I hope everyone gets to read your comments. I for one know that what you have just described is the absolute reality that many others have experienced to some extent. Thank you for sharing your experience.

11:51 AM GMT+8  

Post a Comment

<< Home

!-- End #sidebar -->
Malaysia Blog Sites Listing Check Web Rank World Top Blogs - Blog TopSites hits Blog Portal