Friday, June 09, 2006

What Is Post-Prime Ministerial Syndrome?

Apparently it is a new malady listed in the medical lexicon. Although the number of persons suffering from it, is understandably very few, its effect and impact is felt nationwide and sometimes even internationally.

I don't know whether it is listed in any edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual(DSM) or the International Classification of Diseases(ICD) but it seems to have ramifications that involve entire peoples and nations.

Today I present to you Tun Musa Hitam who claims to have undergone similar symptoms and signs, and although not qualified to be afflicted by this disorder, nevertheless will enlighten you on its clinical features and possible remedies.

The diagnosis: Dr Mahathir's open criticism of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi recently, is not only improper, but does not augur well for the party and nation. For all the elder statesman's remarks, Musa said in jest that Dr Mahathir was undergoing a post-prime ministerial syndrome, which caused the former premier to think that "only he is right."

Clinical features: According to Musa, he had also experienced a similar syndrome but he managed to check himself. "I just told myself to shut up. I told myself...look give up, withdraw. You cannot go on doing this. Let the others take over. They can do. They may or may not be doing as well as I want to do but they are now in place. They have been given the full support, the full support of the party, of the rakyat. I suggest stop interfering with them," he said.

What I am saying here are all my personal views as I no longer hold any positions. I am no longer in the government and in actual fact, I am outside the government, not related to any post, such as formulating policies or strategies in the administration. This is how I see it. Tun Dr Mahathir (Mohamad), since stepping down as Prime Minister, had oftimes said that firstly, he would not interfere in the affairs of the government and politics. Although he had been saying this since his departure from office, what I can see is that, he has not stopped doing something. All the statements he made, contradicted with his promises.

This time, I feel a sense of remorse over Tun Dr Mahathir's criticisms which were levelled directly or indirectly at the administration of Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi. On a direct level, I have had a conversation with him at one time and heard his views which were seen as criticisms too. Indirectly, I heard people talking and reports in the newspapers on his criticisms. At that time, that was considered normal, especially (criticisms) from a former minister, Prime Minister or Deputy Prime Minister. That was a normal phenomenon. But in the past one to two months, Tun Dr Mahathir seems to be unabashed. Tun Dr Mahathir had cast aside the ethics or tradition which had long been known among the Umno members in general, when he blatantly and openly criticised Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.

The remedy?: All I can say now is that... Dr Mahathir just stop it. Enough is enough. Don't do anything. If he continues (with his remarks), no one will gain. Only Dr Mahathir will be satisfied, but those who are against us will benefit.

**** The Malaysian thanks Tun Musa and Bernama who conducted the 'clinical session'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

!-- End #sidebar -->
Malaysia Blog Sites Listing Check Web Rank World Top Blogs - Blog TopSites hits Blog Portal