Friday, March 07, 2008

Indian English Will Conquer Globe: Expert

English will fragment into "global dialects", forcing speakers routinely to learn two varieties of the language — one spoken in their home country and a new kind of Standard English with pronounced Indian characteristics, a leading expert on English has said.

The new Standard English, which will be understood globally, would be necessary if the growing ranks of English-speakers around the world are to understand each other, said Professor David Crystal, one of the world's foremost experts and author of the Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language.

The new Standard English's likely Indian characteristics would signify the end of the primacy of American English. Future users of global Standard English might routinely say "I am thinking it's going to rain" rather than the British "I think it's going to rain", said Crystal.

"In language, numbers count. There are more people speaking English in India than in the rest of the native English-speaking world. Even now, if you ring a call centre, often it's an Indian voice you hear at the end of the phone. As the Indian economy grows, so will the influence of Indian English," he explained.

Because Indians tend to "use the present continuous where we would use the present simple (with an Indian saying) 'I am thinking, I am feeling, I am seeing' rather than 'I think, I feel, I see'... this way of speaking could easily become sexy and part of global Standard English," said the professor, who has written more than 100 books. (TOI)

***** I am thinking that making Desi (Indian) English the Standard English would be a jolly good move yaar!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Crankster said...

SPARE ME!!!!!

2:18 PM GMT+8  
Blogger Monsterball said...

Ayoyo, jolly good news.
I am understanding that this will happen sooner rather than later.

3:25 PM GMT+8  
Blogger Yan said...

The British has colonised India for hundred years.
(I am thinking) It's now time for India to retake the British!

3:42 PM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

any day better than english which goes like this'myself don't speak good english, like this can die one, you know!

6:33 PM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy the "I am thinking " part maybe when we tell jokes etc..but that to become standard English would be sad...not so jolly.

9:00 PM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am dreading that day when it coming...I can't shaking my head and talking at the same time.You knowing what i meaning??

1:33 AM GMT+8  

Post a Comment

<< Home

!-- End #sidebar -->
Malaysia Blog Sites Listing Check Web Rank World Top Blogs - Blog TopSites hits Blog Portal