Monday, November 12, 2007

Ailing Journalist Seeks Aid For His Ailing Son

It never crossed Zulkiple Ibrahim's mind that he himself one day would appear in the media seeking assistance from the public.

Zulkiple, 46, who has been working with the Malaysian National News Agency (Bernama) since 1993 has reported on the plight of others and sought assistance for the needy.

The copy-editor with Bernama's features desk himself is in a poor state of health. He suffers from diabetes, high blood pressure, Osteoporosis and both his kidneys have failed. His mobility is limited, and he depends on his wheelchair to get around.

But that never deterred Zulkiple from getting on with life without depending on others until his youngest of three children, Muhamad Zul Azfar was born in August.

The three-month-old Zul Azfar has been diagnosed with three congenital defects in his heart - Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Drainage, Large Patent Ductus Arteriousus and Patent Foramen Ovale - that needs to be corrected urgently at a cost of RM40,000.

Zul Azfar who has difficulty breathing on his own due to the heart condition also suffers from Down Syndrome. Zul Azfar was initially warded at the University Malaya Medical Centre in August and in October was referred to the National Heart Institute (IJN).

IJN has the expertise to conduct the corrective surgery but the high cost involved makes life difficult for Zulkiple and his wife Zaidah Zainal, 38, a government servant.

"I have no choice but to seek assistance as my savings have been utilised for my own treatment. We have nothing left to sell to raise the RM40,000.

"Thank god my employer understands my situation and has been very considerate. At times I couldn't make it to work due to my poor health," explained Zulkiple who undergoes haemodialysis thrice weekly.

Zul Azfar is now waiting for a suitable date for the surgery and is yet to return home almost since birth and the whole family is spending much of their time at the hospital.

For those who want to help can contact Zulkiple at 017-3839125 or Bernama's Features Desk, 03-26962258. (Bernama)

***** For those who are able to afford to help, please do. A three-month-old child should not be allowed to suffer like this; at least not in this day and time. On my part I shall do whatever I can.
God will surely bless you for your generosity.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger zulkiple said...

Thank u very much.

Donations came from as far as Sabah n Sarawak.

The eight-hour operation on baby Azfar was done on Nov 23, 2007. It was succeeful.

However, Azfar still has to rely on the oxygen tank due to the heart problems.

Doctors say it would take some time before the complications clear. As for me, I am using a prosthesis for my amputated right leg.

Life goes on. Thank U.

5:23 PM GMT+8  
Blogger zulkiple said...

The baby is now a boy close to 30 months old. He has made tremendous recovery as well as progress and me (the father) had sent him to attend physiotherapy sessions at the KDSF in Petaling Jaya.
As for me, I have been coping with life quite well. Life is too short for me to sit down and lament what had happened.

4:13 PM GMT+8  

Post a Comment

<< Home

!-- End #sidebar -->
Malaysia Blog Sites Listing Check Web Rank World Top Blogs - Blog TopSites hits Blog Portal