Monday, February 05, 2007

Old Habits Die Hard: China Bars Writers From Attending Conference

China has barred or warned more than 20 Chinese writers from attending a regional writers conference in Hong Kong, underscoring a tightening of creative freedoms over the past year, organisers said on Monday.

The International PEN, which champions writers' freedoms in 101 countries, said Chinese authorities had deliberately prevented a number of Chinese writers, including those with banned works, from attending the February 2-5 conference.

"Some of the writers were denied visas, some were visited and warned not to come. Some were... turned back at the border," said Joanne Leedom-Ackerman, the International Secretary of PEN.

Respected author Zhang Yihe, whose book on long dead Peking Opera stars was pulled from shelves last month, was warned not to come to the event, the first such PEN conference attempted on Chinese soil.


"I don't know if there's a clear barometer where you can say it's this way or that," said Leedom-Ackerman. "But lately we have seen a tightening." She said a relaxation of reporting rules for foreign journalists in the run-up to the Beijing 2008 Olympics, however, was a positive development.

The banning of books, magazines and newspapers has long been common in one-party China. The constitution promises freedom of expression, but in practice the Communist Party exercises iron control.

"We are very concerned by the restrictions on the writers in mainland China to write, travel and associate freely," said PEN president Jiri Grusa in a statement.

Only 15 Chinese writers, less than half the country's total invitees, attended the Hong Kong event, including former jailed Chinese journalist Gao Yu, who travelled down from Beijing.

"Within China, a sudden cold front has arrived into the political climate," Gao said, referring to the recent banning of eight books, including Zhang's, and the closure of Freezing Point, a progressive weekly magazine.

PEN says there are currently 33 writers imprisoned in China, while Reporters Without Borders said in its 2007 Freedom of the Press report, that the recent jailing of Hong Kong resident journalist Ching Cheong had "worsened apprehension" felt by Hong Kong reporters covering China". (Independent Online)
Image - Source

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger warrior2 said...

I guess the reason you post this article is to highlight your stand on freedom of speech.

But then some of us, censor comments!

That is a contradiction dont you agree?

8:35 AM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Malaysian, this is your blog, you have every right to strike out comments by those who use your blog for vent verbal diarrhoea. For those who feel aggrieved they can always post their comments on their own blog sites. But then no one might want to visit their blogs. I must say that your blog is an excellent site for alternative news and views; that's why you have a loyal band of visitors - and some nut cases. Please carry on.

10:43 AM GMT+8  
Blogger warrior2 said...

but then OUTSIDER, ISNT STRIKING OUT COMMENTS is a contradiction which was my question?

Do we all understand what we say? Do you outsider?

So Malaysian, I would like to know your STAND on censorship?

12:25 PM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warrior2
I think by now most of us know where you are coming from and what sort of person you are. This site deserves much better than the rubbish you choose to deposit here. I gave you the benefit of the doubt but Sandokan was right about you. You would do better to concentrate on your own blog rather than hoping to divert some accidental visitors to your blog from this site.

2:45 PM GMT+8  
Blogger warrior2 said...

I beg to differ outsider. show me one comment of mine which is rubbish. In here, was my comment rubbish?

You havent answered my query on the contradiction!

Dear outsider, dont you think if i want to have hundreds of visitors to my site everyday, I can easily do so by posting sensitive, controversial, wild allegations and that i dont need to use any site/blog to attract visitors?

I am not here and everywhere else to seek popularity, to promote any personal interest etcetc. Whenever I read an article, I give my views if I dont agree with what is being written. is it wrong to have dissention? your labelling of me isnt that an attack on FREEDOM OF SPEECh? I guess you prefer supporters of everything that is being written here and you will label those who dissent as the "rubbish and garbage" kind!

4:25 PM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

warrior2
I don't see you posting your so-called comments on any other blog other than this one. Have you got something against the Malaysian? Are you jealous of him, as Sandokan says?

4:53 PM GMT+8  
Blogger warrior2 said...

Dear outsider, I am a regular in some blogs. Unless you go to the same blogs that I go, you will never know. Does that make sense or is that statement rubbish? Would I know where you go if you dont tell me or I dont happen to visit the same blog that you go. We wouldnt even know each other`s existence if we have not met here!

I have nothing against anybody. i speak my mind and give views in blogs that i go. It just happened that for those articles that I post cooments on,I dont share the views of those bloggers or I have different perspectives. Is that a problem? Am I a truble maker? AM I jealous of the bloggers?

DO tell me!

8:45 AM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Malaysian
I expected that sort of reply from warrior2 - always must have the last word. As I said before, it's your blog. If you feel that he writes in order to participate in an intelligent exchange of ideas, print it; if you feel that he just wants to be bloody-minded (or a pain in the neck, as he says in his blog) you have every right to throw it out together with the dirty dishwater. Over to you.

1:50 PM GMT+8  
Blogger The Malaysian. said...

There is much wisdom in your words, Outsider.

1:59 PM GMT+8  

Post a Comment

<< Home

!-- End #sidebar -->
Malaysia Blog Sites Listing Check Web Rank World Top Blogs - Blog TopSites hits Blog Portal