Thursday, July 13, 2006

Foreign Minister Syed Hamid Says - "I Don't Sell Sand!"

Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar said Thursday that he has no interest in any company involved in supplying sand to Singapore. "I've never been dependent, nor have I got any interest in any companies whether (dealing with) sand or anything else. I don't live with sand and I hope that people will not put sand in my life," he said of rumours circulating on the Internet over his purported link with such a company.

Syed Hamid said that whatever money he made must be clean. "I'd love to have a lot of money but I want to make sure that whatever money that I make must be money that is legal, does not involve bad things or violation of the law or corruption," he said.

Pressed whether there was no truth whatsoever to the Internet stories about him, Syed Hamid said: "Why do you all react to rumours? Everything can go into the Internet. And I think we must rely on the mainstream media, what it puts (out). And you must have facts." Syed Hamid said that it was bad to make accusations and for the media to try to get comments based on rumours. When it was pointed out that the Internet was now accessible to everybody, the minister said: "Yes, they can talk but if we answer to (rumours on the) Internet, then we will not be able to sleep or do anything. I think the most important thing is your conscience must be clear" he said.

Looks like even the foreign minister is not spared the 'long arm' of the internet. The rumours spread on the internet on many issues are just that, unfounded hearsay. They are sometimes vicious lies that are calculated to inflict maximum damage. Whether Syed Hamid is such a victim, I don't know. In my personal opinion I think these are just stories planted by his detractors to put him on the defensive after his strong support for Pak Lah in the current spat with Dr Mahathir. However if he is covering-up his involvement in sand sale, no matter how remote, it will be only a matter of time before he is exposed. I hope for his own good and that of his political future, he has been upfront in his public denials.

2 Comments:

Blogger Waris Tok Naga said...

It will be shocking if this turns out to be like the case of the "close one eye" MP eh! (helping the constituencey it seems)

9:05 PM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

2:13 AM GMT+8  

Post a Comment

<< Home

!-- End #sidebar -->
Malaysia Blog Sites Listing Check Web Rank World Top Blogs - Blog TopSites hits Blog Portal