Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Kedah MB Says He Doesn't Want To Know About Yoga Issue

Amidst the polemics over the yoga fatwa, Kedah Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Azizan Abdul Razak said he was simply not interested in the yoga issue and left it to the state Mufti to make a decision.

"I don't know what yoga is. I'm not interested to know about it. If people want to sit cross-legged and think deep like Gandhi, it's their business," he said when asked to comment on the National Fatwa Council's ruling of yoga as "haram" (forbidden) for Muslims.

Last Saturday, the National Fatwa Council ruled that systematic yoga practice comprising physical exercise, chanting of mantra and the aim of oneness with God are against Islamic teachings.

Kelantan Menteri Besar and PAS' Spiritual Leader Datuk Nik Abdul Aziz Nik Mat said yesterday that he accepted the fatwa and that Kelantan would have no problem gazetting it.

However, Azizan who was met at Wisma Darul Aman Wednesday after chairing the state executive council meeting, and repeatedly asked by reporters, declined to comment on the matter other than saying:

"I'm not interested and I don't want to know about yoga as there are many other things to think about.

"We have a Mufti, so let him do the job." (Bernama)

LATEST: Malaysia backs down from yoga ban amid backlash

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fatwa or "ban" on yoga only imposed on the muslims. It's up to the Malaysian muslims to voice out "for" or "against" this ban.
I personally feel that we non-Malay shouldn't felt insulted over this. Just like non-Malays won't feel insulted when Malay said liqour & pork are haram, gambling is haram etc.

Anything that is good to our health but not accepted or practise by others, what's the problem? Let it be. It's your choice, my choice & their choice too.
I don't mind chanting any mantras which I cann't comprehen. As long as it's good for me, I'll do it. It's my choice.

10:49 AM GMT+8  

Post a Comment

<< Home

!-- End #sidebar -->
Malaysia Blog Sites Listing Check Web Rank World Top Blogs - Blog TopSites hits Blog Portal