Saturday, April 22, 2006

Aging. The Importance Of A Safety Net.

I received the following via email some time ago. It consisted of a collection of good humoured and positive references to old age. However it also got me thinking about the latter years as I call it. Lets view the email message first.

AGING.
Eventually you will reach a point when you stop lying about your age and start bragging about it.
The older we get, the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.
Some people try to turn back their odometers.Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.I've travelled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?
When you are dissatisfied and would like to go back to youth, think of Algebra.
Yo! You know you are getting old when everything dries up or leaks.
I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.
One of the many things no one tells you about aging is that it is such a nice change from being young.
Ah, being young is beautiful, but being old is comfortable.
Old age is when former classmates are so grey and wrinkled and bald, they don't recognize you.
If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you are old.
First you forget names, then you forget faces.Then you forget to pull up your zipper.It's worse when you forget to pull it down!

** First I must say that I envy the happy disposition of the person who wrote the above. Its a wonderfully encouraging piece that all should read.
Having said that the aging process is not that easy to accept for many. Some tend to fight it, a losing battle, while others just give a damn. Both are unwise. Graciously accept growing old but carefully plan for any and every eventuality.
There are several points in our life where we tend to overspend; buying/building and refurbishing our home(s), education of our children, their subsequent marriage and helping them to 'stand' on their own. All this is done selflessly without a thought to our own future well-being. The conventional thinking has always been that our children will look after us when 'we are old'. Unfortunately things don't seem to work that way anymore. The increasing number of old folks homes is a testimony to that.
What then are we to do? With a limited income how are we to give the best for our kids and still save enough for our twilight years? That is a very, very difficult question to answer and I will not pretend that I have a solution. Perhaps a financial consultant or analyst would be in a better position to help us out here. All I know is that we must save.
I must make one thing clear at this juncture and that is, in this blog I won't be pouring out my 'wisdom' and wait for you to comment. I am not an expert and never will be. Here we share our opinions, concerns and doubts. From time to time I hope that a real expert would find time to drop in and share his or her expertise with us.
FOR THE RECORD: I cordially invite anyone who wishes, to kindly contribute articles to this blog under your own name, and it will be published. You can email me at senyumyang@yahoo.com.my

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

!-- End #sidebar -->
Malaysia Blog Sites Listing Check Web Rank World Top Blogs - Blog TopSites hits Blog Portal