Saturday, February 24, 2007

Johor Baru MP Shahrir Says His Wife Not Related To Robert Kuok.

Johor Baharu Member of Parliament Datuk Shahrir Abdul Samad said today his wife is not related to Malaysia's richest man Tan Sri Robert Kuok, quashing rumours to that effect.

"I have a Chinese wife but she is from Ipoh, not from Johor. I am not at all related to him (Robert Kuok). I didn't marry his daughter, I didn't marry his niece and I didn't marry any Kuok. These are all rumours," he said when replying to reporters' questions.

Shahrir said Kuok has no daughter and that rumours of him being related to Kuok could have come about due to him (Shahrir) being outspoken on controversial issues.

"Many people think that a politician who makes a lot of noise must be very rich, and that I, because I may have about 10 per cent of the Kuok fortune which is about RM2 billion to RM3 billion, I can afford to say anything that I like," he said after closing a forum on education organised by Johor Baharu Umno, here.

Shahrir said he has known Kuok for many years and was convinced that Johor and the Iskandar Development Region (IDR) can benefit from his wisdom and experience as a businessman. Kuok is one of five advisers of the Iskandar Development Region Authority (IDRA), which held its first meeting yesterday.

Shahrir said Kuok could advise the IDRA as to how to go about attracting investment to the IDR.

He also said that a local newspaper had contacted him to use his good offices to arrange for an interview with the low-profile businessman but that he would not do it. Asked whether he had been bothered by the rumours, Shahrir said he was not at all bothered by them.

"I am actually bothered because I don't have any money. Even though Kuok has no daughter, I know his children. I know his nephews and there are times when I meet them. I am sorry to disappoint you all," he said. (Bernama)

Image - Source

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger What A Lulu said...

per this asiaweek article,
http://www.asiaweek.com/asiaweek/97/0606/biz8.html
rashid hussein [ex rhb bank] is married to sue kuok, robert kuok's daughter. so, robert kuok does have at least one daughter, contrary to shahrir samad saying that rk has no daughters.
unless of course, asiaweek got it wrong.

9:19 PM GMT+8  
Blogger The Malaysian. said...

What A Lulu, very astute observation indeed!

9:38 PM GMT+8  
Blogger pemerhati said...

Correction:

Rashid Hussein WAS married to Sue who previously was married to Farouk, who is now married to Raja Eleena, the second daughter of the Sultan of Perak.

1:02 AM GMT+8  

Post a Comment

<< Home

!-- End #sidebar -->
Malaysia Blog Sites Listing Check Web Rank World Top Blogs - Blog TopSites hits Blog Portal