Sunday, January 21, 2007

Jamali Shadat - Comedian Extraordinaire.

If laughter is the best medicine, then veteran comedian Datuk Jamali Shadat certainly qualifies as a medicine man.

A myriad of colourful bougainvilleas in the garden greets visitors to Datuk Jamali Shadat’s house in Pulau Indah, Klang. Bright and cheerful, Jamali’s abode does not just reflect his sunny personality, but also his beginnings – he was a gardener for more than 12 years before he hit the big time in showbiz.

“It was my late stepfather (Kemat Haji Nawawi) who showed me the beauty of flowers. He had wonderful blooms and plants in his garden,” said Jamali as he loving ran his hand over two vintage Vespas parked in his living room. I bought these two scooters in the 1960s and 70s and I’ve kept them in good condition. I still ride them now and then,” he said, grinning widely.

Much of Jamali’s time these days is taken up with running his JL Permata nursery, a flower trade that involves his youngest child Sazali, 30. Another son, Azmi, 32, helps with a chicken-rearing business. But all these flowers and chicken are mere hobbies to Jamali, who would very much prefer to go up on stage. He still gets invited to do gigs in public and on TV.

Famous for his Atan and Atuk characters, Jamali’s appeal lies in the fact that his comedy is tailored to suit a multi-racial audience. “When I impersonate a character from a particular race, I bear in mind their cultural sensitivities. Tradition and culture are important and should never be belittled,” he stressed. “Sure, you want people to laugh but there is no need to be crude about it.”

Looking younger than his 65 years – “I fast regularly; that’s the secret of my youth” – Jamali took delight in doing impersonations at every opportunity, talking like an Indian with tongue a-rolling one minute and like a Chinese in a sing-song voice in another.
Jamali does this with ease because of his exposure to the various communities.

The youngest of nine siblings born in Bukit Kapar, Klang, he had worked during his teenage years to supplement the family income. “I worked in the market with the Chinese, in the estate with the Indians, and in a bread factory owned by a Punjabi.” So their speech and mannerisms rubbed off on Jamali, who incorporated the various facets of Malaysians and the way they speak into his repertoire.

At home, his family used to receive visitors of all races. Jamali recalled one family friend, an old Indian cowherd named Pattu. “Pattu spoke to me in Tamil a lot. He would also sing Indian lullabies to lull me to sleep. He sort of adopted me when I was a small boy. Till today, I can still sing his Indian lullabies,” he said.

Jamali’s first public performance was in 1957, on a makeshift stage in Bukit Kapar, before his neighbours and fellow villagers. “The villagers knew about my antics and made me do it. It was unnerving but the experience set me for future stage shows,” he chuckled at the memory.

Word soon got around about this talented young man who could do very good impersonations and jokes. More village performances followed and a relative – “Cikgu Salleh Daud, one of my strongest supporters” – thought that he should go for state competitions. He did, and won a few.

Then television beckoned. In 1971, Jamali won the Bakat TV talent quest and became a household name. After that he was given a TV slot called the SAJ (Saloma Ahmad Daud and Jamali Shadat) Show. In recent years, his TV appearances were Atan Oh Atan Oi (Hari Raya of 2000), and the Jamali Shadat Show (2001). He is now a judge on Raja Lawak Astro which started last year and is still ongoing.

While he has enjoyed his career as a comedian, showbiz is not something that Jamali wants his children to get into. “Too much uncertainty,” said Jamali who has been married to Lela Yaakob for 47 years. The couple has eight children now aged between 30 and 44, and a grand total of 36 grandchildren. “My children have not shown any inclination towards the entertainment industry and I am fine with that. It is not an easy life.”

After 40 years of making people laugh, Jamali said he will still do it if he is wanted. “A little slower but still going strong,” he said with a twinkle in his eye.

And those of us who first saw Jamali Shadat back in the old days of black and white TV and found him funny will certainly want him to bring his humour to a new generation. “Thank you, I feel very happy to hear that. For me, that is the ultimate accolade,” he said humbly. (By K.S. Usha Devi, TheStar)
Image - Source

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember being about 11 when I saw the Bakat TV finals. I remember also praying and wishing hard that Jamali Shadat would win and the whole household clapped and cheered when he did. Mind you, it was a Chinese household. To us, it was talent that mattered, not the colour of the contestant's skin and Jamali proved to be a worthy and deserving winner. Nowadays, contests are so racially biased that I know of people who sms-ed their votes for a particular reality show contestant, not because of his/her talent but so long as he/she is not of a particular race. Malaysian Idol 2 is an example of such biaseness.

10:05 AM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoy his shows. Boy am I surprised that he is a simple man with simple values. A model for multi racial Malaysia. Pity none of his children took up his vocation. I have a lot of respect for this guy than a lot of professionals or politician. Thanks Jamali for your multi colored shows.

1:20 PM GMT+8  

Post a Comment

<< Home

!-- End #sidebar -->
Malaysia Blog Sites Listing Check Web Rank World Top Blogs - Blog TopSites hits Blog Portal